Saturday, January 5, 2008

Warner goes Blu-Ray, consumers keep wallets shut?

Hollywood's DVD Problem: Not Going Away - Silicon Alley Insider:
Separately, consumers still need to 1) upgrade their old sets to HiDef ones, which is happening at the high end of the market but still isn't a mainstream behavior and 2) become convinced that they need new DVD players. The latter isn't a given, because for many folks, conventional DVDs viewed on nice HiDef screens looks pretty good already. And if that's the case, then they're not likely to be in a hurry for a new machine, format war or no.

Personally, I'm in no hurry to replace my DVDs, and I'm this close to digitising the whole lot and waiting for a proper digital-download solution that just works. What does that mean? It means a simple way of ripping my existing disks and cataloguing them, a proper connection to my EyeTV stuff, TV programs on demand, rental movies downloaded, and whatever physical format emerges handled too. Oh and it means it all working together properly and playing nicely with my iPod. I won't hold my breath, though I'm curious about whatever emerges from MacWorld shedding some light on Apple's role in making it happen.


Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , ,

No comments: