Monday, June 11, 2007

.Mac/Google Integration

Apple's .Mac getting a Google overhaul? - Engadget:
MacScoop has it that Apple's .Mac is about to get a helpful hand from Silicon Valley buds, Google. According to their sources, Apple's neglected .Mac service is set for a Google infrastructure overhaul which includes updated pricing, more services, and an increase in storage. The revamped offering is expected to offer free Google services bundled with traditional .Mac offerings at variable pricing schemes but similar levels of integration with OS X. Of course, it's only a rumor but it certainly seems plausible. After all, Google's cloud offerings have rapidly matured since Apple's .Mac launch in 2002.
A full-on integration with Google's services would certainly please Jonathan Green, who's really buzzed about the mobile Google Calendar and GMail browser. I'd settle for parity on storage capacity (I'm not a fan of GMail's 'never deleted, always ad-sponsored approach), some better integration of the standalone Mail app and the online (when I'm behind a firewall is there any reason Mail app can't just use a .mac API to do my mail stuff over port 80?), Google Calendar and iCal working properly together (and the respective chat programs too, for that matter), and some Apple-like innovation along the iTunes Store lines. Let me pay for .mac services like I pay for iTunes content, as I need it, and give me something like iTunes in iWeb to manage all my content and the links to desktop apps.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,

No comments: